- Founding Partner
The Law Offices of Charles J. Smith III is a Redwood City, California, based law firm founded by Charles J. Smith. Mr. Smith handles civil litigation matters in the areas of business, employment, probate, real estate and trust litigation. He also practices criminal defense law and has experience litigating misdemeanors and felonies such as assault, DUI, drug crimes, homicide, insurance fraud and white collar crimes.
Mr. Smith serves clients in Redwood City, Peninsula and throughout the Silicon Valley, including San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. He has been licensed to practice law since 1976 and is admitted before all California state courts and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Dedicated to serving his clients, Mr. Smith has recovered substantial sums in verdicts and settlements over the course of his career. He achieved the highest rating of AV Preeminent* from the peer review organization Martindale-Hubbell. He has provided legal commentary on many local and national media outlets, and he was elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates in 1992.
Mr. Smith enjoys being involved in his community. He serves as a volunteer coach and teacher at the local high school and lectures to legal organizations on various topics. He is a member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association and the San Mateo County Bar Association.
After graduating from Santa Clara University School of Law, Mr. Smith began working for the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office. He went on to practice insurance defense with a private firm before founding his solo practice in 1991.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- California, 1976
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1976
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- J.D. - 1976
- Lehigh University
- B.A. - 1973
- Honors: cum laude
- Randall v. Campbell; Santa Clara County; CV804209; Jan. 2003
- Dennis Carroll v. Lorraine Andel, San Mateo County CIV418215; July 2003
- Balce v. Lucky Chances, Inc. USDC, Northern District; 07-01090 Hon. Jeffrey White; Feb 2008
- Lawrence/Culver v. Hartnell Community College, Monterey County, M88730, July 2009
- Moncayo v. Holiday Inn, San Mateo County, CIV478734; June 2010
- Specialized v. Volagi, Santa Clara County 1-10-CV185692; Jan. 2012
- Mary Lucas v. Recommind, San Francisco County; CGC 10-497516; July 2012
- People v. D.B.; Santa Clara County Superior Court, Palo Alto Division, April 2014
- Arturo Salume v. Myrta Salume, San Mateo County; June 2014
- Stevens v. Davis; San Mateo Superior Case #CIV524878; June 2015
- Lopez et. al. v. Lucky Chances, San Mateo County; Hon. Joseph Bergeron; April 2015
- DFEH v. Fortune Players Group, San Mateo County, Judge Elizabeth Lee; Sept. 2015
- People v. Marcos H. – Santa Clara County, Judge JoAnne McCracken; October 2016
- People v. Wayne Bair – San Mateo County, Judge Lisa Novak; Nov./Dec. 2016
- People v. Sam K. – Santa Clara County, Judge Shelyna Brown; April 2017
Honors and Awards
- AV-Preeminent Peer-Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Association), Member, 1992
Past Employment Positions
- San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office, 1978
- Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley, Wagner and Kane, Associate
Pro Bono Activities
- Statewide Mock Trial Program, Volunteer